Tethering means connecting your mobile phone to your computer, laptop or Internet ready device usually by USB connection or Bluetooth and sharing the data allowance that is allowed as part of your SIM only contract.
Be aware that some mobile networks allow you to tether using your allowance with no limitations, some allow tethering with data capped at certain levels and some networks will not permit tethering at all. Networks change policy quite regularly so it is worth visiting this page regularly to check if you are considering getting a SIM only plan with the main proviso being able to tether your data allowance.
SIM Only Tethering Deals
|Network Operator||Package Name||Contract Duration||Included Minutes||Included Texts||Added Extras||Monthly Cost||More Info|
|10GB EE SIM Only||12 months||unlimited||unlimited||10GB of upto 90Mbps 4G data + 12 months free BT Sport app access||£23.00||see deal|
|30GB EE SIM Only||12 months||unlimited||unlimited||30GB of upto 90Mbps 4G data + 12 months free BT Sport app access||£30.00||see deal|
|Three Advanced SIM Unlimited Data||12 months||200||unlimited||All you can eat 4G data + 30GB Personal Hotspot||£24.00||see deal|
|O2 Simplicity £25.00||12 months||unlimited||unlimited||20GB of 4G data + free O2 WiFi||£25.00||see deal|
|O2 Simplicity £20.00||12 months||unlimited||unlimited||10GB of 4G data + free O2 WiFi||£20.00||see deal|
|Vodafone SIM Only 20GB Plan||12 months||unlimited||unlimited||20GB of 4G data free + 2GB free roaming data||£20.00||see deal|
|Vodafone SIM Only 25GB Plan||12 months||unlimited||unlimited||25GB of 4G data free + 4GB free roaming data + 12 months Now TV Spotify or Sky Sports Mobile TV||£25.00||see deal|
|Three Advanced Plan SIM £32||12 months||unlimited||unlimited||All you can eat 4G data + Personal Hotspot||£32.00||see deal|
Current Mobile Network Tethering Polices
All of the following networks allow you to tether with no caps based on data usage (be sure to keep within the allocated data usage allowed on your plan otherwise you will be charged extra).
You can still tether using the following networks but their tethering option is capped to you cannot use all of your data transfer limits as permitted in your contract.
- Three (data tethering is capped at 4GB per month)
Tethering Not Allowed
You are not allowed to tether your mobile phone SIM only data allowance on the following mobile networks.
- By tethering your phone to your computer you can share the data allowance from your phone contract which means you can browse the Internet on your computer without a dedicated broadband connection.
- If you tether using a 4G tariff you could get download speeds that rival or even surpass your current home broadband speeds.
- Tethering saves you money because you don’t need a separate broadband contract for your computer or laptop – you can use your phone data allowance.
- Given the generous monthly minutes, texts on some SIM only deals and the fact that you would not need a dedicated broadband line you might not even need to get a landline (which is often only needed so you can get broadband) saving you even more money.
- By tethering your laptop it gives you the flexibility of being able to check emails and browse the Internet on your laptop on the move. Just don’t forget to bring your phone!
- The One Plan from Three used to permit unlimited data tethering with no caps imposed whatsoever, but this was recently discontinued (there are caps now on tethering via Three). However, you may want to keep an eye on this, as it is possible that this tariff could be re-introduced if there is enough of an outcry from unhappy current and prospective Three customers.